What is Epilepsy?
Epilepsy is known as ‘Apasmara’ in Ayurveda. This disorder happens because of abnormal electrical activity in the brain leading to seizures or fits in which the patient convulses violently and may become unconscious or very confused. By an estimate, about 5 – 10% of the world’s population above the age of 80 undergo an epileptic seizure at least once, but they do not necessarily have epilepsy. At Jiva Ayurveda, Epilepsy treatment is personalized according to the body type and root cause of every individual.
Ayurveda View of Epilepsy
What is an Ayurvedic view of Epilepsy? In Ayurveda, it is termed as ‘Apasmara’. This disorder happens because of abnormal electrical activity in the brain leading to seizures or fits. In this condition, the patients convulse violently and may become unconscious or very confused. In Ayurveda, Epilepsy is classified into:
What is the cause of Epilepsy?
traumatic brain injury
- scarring on the brain after a brain injury (post-traumatic epilepsy)
- serious illness or very high fever
- stroke, which is a leading cause of epilepsy in people over age 35
- other vascular diseases
- lack of oxygen to the brain
- brain tumor or cyst
- dementia or Alzheimer’s disease
- maternal drug use, prenatal injury, brain malformation, or lack of oxygen at birth
- infectious diseases such as AIDS and meningitis
- genetic or developmental disorders or neurological diseases